Saturday, October 25, 2008

MY BAD

I was giving a road test today for a second time to Josephina, a little Phillipeano lady, and we came to the part where I ask the question; "If you have to drive off the side of the road and hit something, what would be the safest thing to hit?" The correct answer is to hit something soft, which she answered properly. Then, for some inexplicitable reason, with no obvious lead in, I remarked that sometimes I ask people if they have a choice to hit a big elephant or a cute little puppy, what would be the best choice? "Sir, (sniff sniff), I would hit (sniff sniff), the cute - little - poo pee." Tears started to flow out of her eyes while she continued; "My cute little poo pee (sob sob), was hit by a car." Of course I felt instantly awful, and told her; "I'm sorry. It was wrong for me joke like that." "Sir, my Cambodian lady friend gave me that poo pee and said, 'You don't have a daughter. THIS will be your daughter.' " And now really crying she choked out the words; "And she was my (sob sob) cute - little - daughter." Then I heard the rest of her sad dog story, includng "The neighbor dog bite my poo pee on the leg. I call police." Eventually she calmed down, ended up passing the test, and grabbed both of my hands with hers to thank me. "I have big fight with husband this morning. Thank you." "Glad we made it back in one piece" I thought to my guilty self.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger carriekuipers said...

It was funny hearing it in person and fully reading it on the blog!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Oh my goodness....oh my goodness!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger MelissaLB said...

that poor lady being taunted during her road test!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home